How To Save Energy & Money In The New Year!
Written By: Warm Thoughts Communications on December 20, 2021
You Can Help the Environment—All While Saving on Your Energy Bills!
Whether you want to save money on your energy bills, or to do your part to protect the environment by reducing your carbon footprint, there are many steps you can take to make your home more energy-efficient. Our top tips for saving energy in your home run the gamut from cheap and easy, to those that require a little more investment—but in the end, they all pay off! Read on to discover all the ways you can harness your power to save, then choose the methods that work best for you and your family.
Small Efforts Add Up to Big Energy Savings
Sometimes, it’s the little things that can make all the difference. A problem that seems like a minor annoyance and a hassle to fix, could be costing you big. With a few simple steps, you can prevent your home from losing the warmth and energy your system works hard to create. Consider steps such as:
- Adding or Replacing Weatherstripping, Seals, and Caulking: Drafty openings, cracks, and gaps let outdoor weather inside and help indoor temperatures escape. This causes your home systems to work far harder than they need to maintain the ideal temperature.
- Adding Insulation: There are several different types of insulation, and if your home is older, you may be overdue for an upgrade. If your home is newer, there could still be areas, like your basement, attic, or crawlspace, that could benefit from additional insulation, including pipe wrapping.
- Replacing Windows: Windows are lovely, of course, and provide a much-needed glimpse of the outside world when we’re at home—especially when the weather isn’t pleasant. But if your windows aren’t high-quality or are older models and/or single-pane, they may be letting way too much of the warmth you love to escape. If a nice window upgrade isn’t in the budget now right now, some strategic, heavy drapery just may do the trick.
Get SMART with Energy-Efficiency
As technologies improve, it gets easier to make energy-efficient changes and tweaks to our daily routines. While upgrading to smart appliances may be a little pricey up front, they pay for themselves in savings rather quickly. If you can make a minor investment in your home’s appliances, think about:
- Replacing a Standard Thermostat with a Smart Thermostat: A smart thermostat can be programmed to alter the temperature in your home according to your schedule. You can also set it to monitor your proximity to home so that your system knows when to turn on or off. All of these can also be easily controlled right through your smartphone!
- Choosing Energy-Efficient Components: LED light bulbs, smart power strips, energy-efficient washer and dryer sets, refrigerators, and tankless water heaters can help your household use the energy generated more efficiently.
Incorporating Eco-Friendly Choices
Everyone wastes energy at times, without even realizing it. But small steps can become habits that have a big return.
- Conserving Heated Water: Washing clothes in cold water, reducing the length of hot showers, and turning the temperature down on your water heater can all make a difference. Even using a “warm” setting versus a “hot” setting” on an appliance can impact energy efficiency.
- Line-Drying Your Clothes: Dryers eat into energy-efficiency, tremendously.
- Keeping Your Thermostat at a Moderate Level Year-Round: It’s no secret that keeping your home a little warmer in the summer and a little cooler in the winter can help you save on energy used.
- Unplugging your appliances and turning off lights when a room is not in use are some of the easiest steps to save.
Whether for your home or business, when you enroll we make process the of choosing your own energy supplier completely hassle-free, so you can feel confident you’re finding the absolute best, most cost-effective way to keep the lights on and your home or business warm. ALL our electric plans are 100% green power options, so reach out to one of our energy experts to find out which plan works best for you, today!