Sustainability Projects Around the World, and Around Us
Written By: Warm Thoughts Communications on March 27, 2020
Support sustainability with Green Energy Plans from Discount Power
All over the planet, people are making an effort to protect the environment. At Discount Power, we help that effort by giving our customers the option of our Green Energy plans. With Green Energy, all of your electricity usage is offset by carbon-neutral, wind-generated power sources. And you still get great rates!
We support sustainability in our energy supply, and we applaud those who are working towards sustainability in all sorts of ways – some you may not have even known about!
- In Africa, the Great Green Wall is dedicated to protecting the Sahel region of western and north-central Africa, a region that extends from Senegal on Africa’s western coast to Djibouti in the Horn of Africa on the continent’s eastern coast. To the north is the Sahara Desert; to the south is the more humid savannah climate.
- When you think of a sustainability project, you may imagine them out in nature. But a major project is happening smack-dab in the middle of one of the world’s major cities. Agripolis’ objective is to create urban farming spaces wherever they can be put. One of those sites is atop the Paris Expo Porte de Versailles exhibition center, a 150,000 square-foot organic, vertical farm.
- Solar power doesn’t have to come from large solar farms. In the Netherlands, SolaRoad creates road pavement that turns the sunlight hitting it into electricity! One of the projects, in the village of Blauwestad, is on a bike road and powers a public stand-alone system that is a charging station for e-bikes, phones and tablets.
- In the United Kingdom, the Eden Project is part nature center, part sustainability education center. Located in a big crater in Cornwall, the project site has Biomes housing, water harvesting, rainforest conservation, plant exhibitions, gardens, hands-on education, and learning centers with programs for all including those with special needs.
Sustainability at the local level
There are projects big and small all over the Discount Power service area of states that are supporting sustainability in all sorts of ways.
- In Massachusetts, the New Entry Sustainable Farming Project is an initiative from Tufts University. The NESFP’s objective is to support new farmers in becoming successful and support the local food supply while practicing sustainability. It also helps introduce their communities to these farmers through a Community Supported Agriculture program where people can subscribe to receive fresh, sustainably grown, seasonal produce from the farms in the program.
- In Cleveland, once called the Forest City, organizations like the Cleveland Botanical Garden, the Holden Arboretum and the Western Reserve Land Conservancy are coming together for the Cleveland Tree Project. The project’s goals are to protect the city’s dwindling tree canopy and grow the tree canopy from 19 percent to 30 percent by 2040.
- Philadelphia’s government has an Office of Sustainability. It works with public and private agencies to advance multiple sustainability efforts, including safe and accessible food and drinking water, accessible and affordable transportation, clean and efficient energy, climate prepared and carbon-neutral communities, healthy air both indoors and out, and zero waste.
Enroll in our Green Energy program for affordable, renewable energy for your home, or your business. Contact us today for a quote, or to see the plans available in your local area.